08 January 2008

To Hell with That

So I was going to continue to post about knitting that's been done in the last six months...but that's just boring. Head over to my Ravelry page to check out all the FO goodness. Today, I've got more important fish to fry.

Like Roam. When Fall Knitty came out, I was impressed. For once, I honestly liked most of the projects. Muir, Henry, Cherie Amour, Neiman, Mr Greenjeans, Percy, Flower Power, Totally Autumn, Q, Diamond Waffle, Oblique, Juno Regia...all fabulous. But Roam. Roam made the knitter in me jump up and down and yell.

As is my tendency, first I looked up the suggested yarn to see about cost, colors, fiber content, etc. And while I'm sure it is a lovely yarn, there is no way in hell you'll find me paying that much money for a sweater. I was willing to search for a yarn that cost more than what I'd usually spend because I was pretty sure I wouldn't get to Roam before Christmas anyway, so more expensive yarn would make an excellent addition to my list for Santa.

And thus began the search for the perfect yarn. As usual, my first stop was KnitPicks, but I really really really wanted a variegated yarn, which KnitPicks didn't have in a DK weight. I checked out Laura's Blog and checked out her recommendations for yarn subs. From there I went to Briar Rose Fibers and fell in love. I'd known about Briar Rose from listening to Cast On, but I'd never really looked too closely, in part because I am a college student on a college student budget, and in part because, in my earlier knitting days, the idea of purchasing yarn that wasn't obviously labeled with "worsted" or "DK" or whatever freaked me out.

And so, on Christmas, Santa delivered.



Two skeins of "teals, olives, and browns", and one skein of "olives." I cannot even express how beautiful this yarn is. The colors are sublime, the yarn is soft (but not too soft) and squishy, and it's knitting up wonderfully.

My fantastic boyfriend got me the Knit Picks Options set for Christmas, and so, armed with my brand new Size 6 needles and my brand new Yarn, I got to work.



As you can see, I am a stellar photographer...

The back is done, and I've started the fronts. I love seed stitch, I love this yarn, I love this sweater, and I love knitting! Yay!

No comments: